Welcome to ACAPELLAS4U, Free Acapellas Vocals Dj tools Downloads

Your original leading free studio quality acapellas provider.

Twitter Facebook Top100 Pellas

MP3 Tagging Tutorial - submitted by OTG

This category contains excellent, well-written guides and step by step tutorials submitted by our members. If you'd like to contribute, please email [email protected] with 'Content Creator' in the subject line.

Moderators: Forum Staff, admin

MP3 Tagging Tutorial - submitted by OTG

Postby acapella on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks to OTG for his time in producing the following guide to getting a handle on your extensive MP3 archives. ACAPELLAS4U would love to hear from you if you have your own tutorials or would be interested in writing one or two for us. Just PM acapella with your idea(s).

There's no 'right' way to tag MP3s, provided you have the information you require to find the tracks you want simply and easily, be it on an MP3 player (iPod, Zune, etc) or just on your computer.

But what is a tag? An ID3 tag is a data container within an MP3 audio file stored in a prescribed format. The default tags are Artist Name, Track Title, Album Title, Track Number, Year, Genre and Comment. ID3v2, launched in 2000, supports longer and bespoke tags. For more detailed information on ID3 tags, including technical specifications, please see the Official ID3 tag website

Before starting to tag your MP3s, a few fundamental decisions need to be made. For example, I store artists in the format SURNAME, Forename (eg WILLIAMS, Robbie), I move the words The and A to the end of artist names (eg CRYSTAL METHOD, The) and track names (eg Fat Shadow, The (Pointy Head Mix)), I append 'featuring' info to the end of track names instead of including them in artist names (eg Artist Name: TIMBALAND Song Name: Some Generic R&B Song (featuring Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, The World & His Wife)), and I number MP3s ripped from multi-disc albums numerically, not restarting at 1 for disc 2 track 1.

For WINDOWS XP or VISTA based PCs, one method of tagging MP3s is to use Windows Media Player (WMP):

Find the track in your WMP library:

[img]http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk/tutorials/MP3TaggingTutorial/01_FindMP3.jpg[/img]

The easiest way to get the metadata for the MP3 is to use the Find album info option.

This will open a connection to an online database and search based on the title of the MP3.

To manually enter the ID3v1 information, right click on the MP3 and select Edit from the context menu:

This will allow 'in-line' editing of the standard fields used by WMP. If the data entered for a field is too large to fit in an ID3v1 field, the MP3 will automatically gain ID3v2 tags.

If you want to enter more detailed ID3v2 information, irrespective of whether or not ID3v1 tags have been created, right click on the MP3 and select Advanced Tag editor:

The tabs on the resultant window will allow much more detailed information, the addition of artwork, etc.

Once all your MP3s have been correctly tagged, finding and accessing your music collection will be much simpler.

[img]http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk/tutorials/MP3TaggingTutorial/07_Library.jpg[/img]

Any cover art added can also be displayed in a number of players whilst the MP3 is playing.

[img]http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk/tutorials/MP3TaggingTutorial/08_Playing.jpg[/img]

On Windows XP and later, if the folder is set to Music Details, you can select columns from the ID3 tags to display:

Naturally, there are a myriad of other tools that can be used to tag MP3s, my personal favourite is dbPowerAmp as it allows integration of ID3 updating into Windows Explorer, but it's down to personal choice.
acapella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Downloads/Uploads: 135 / 263

Postby asdasd on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:52 am

nice but i use dbpoweramp because it can tag many files in one step:)
asdasd
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 127 / 0

Postby 2mnyshp on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:50 pm

you can also use itunes! works perfect!
2mnyshp
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 11 / 0

Postby crash on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Thank you! :D
crash
ACAS4U - a full PHAT 11/10!

Downloads/Uploads: 5 / 0

Re: MP3 Tagging Tutorial - submitted by OTG

Postby mwolsfeld on Fri May 28, 2010 2:42 am

Too complicated. Just use iTunes IMHO.
mwolsfeld
ACAS4U Rookie
ACAS4U Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 2 / 0

Postby themachinerages on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks! I always wondered how to do this! :D
themachinerages

Downloads/Uploads: 50 / 0

Postby mic_cim on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 pm

alrighty!
mic_cim

Downloads/Uploads: 3 / 0
Dj or Producer?: Music Producer - just starting out
Musical influences: Avicii
Music genre(s): House Electro
Soundcloud Page: soundcloud.com/
My favourite website is: www.

Postby yotitosan on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:53 am

nice
yotitosan

Downloads/Uploads: 97 / 0

Postby gulabgang on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:06 pm

As an extra, if you make your donation from the date/time of this post onwards and didn't get an upgrade, it's extra important you let me know so I can fix anything not quite right, but before doing so please confirm in your paypal that the transaction happened and it's not an eCheque, I obviously can't help with those, eCheques should upgrade you automatically, but it'll take a few days.
Decrease your exam stress by using our latest 400-051 and best quality mybraindumps 642-732 and fcc We provide with 100% pass guarantee along with www.pittstate.edu and Southern California University of Health Sciences
gulabgang
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark

Downloads/Uploads: 0 / 0
Dj or Producer?: Music Producer - I know what DAW and latency are all about
Music genre(s): i think its to be guitar its better than piano its
Soundcloud Page: soundcloud.com/
My favourite website is: www.