Welcome to ACAPELLAS4U, Free Acapellas Vocals Dj tools Downloads

Your original leading free studio quality acapellas provider.

Twitter Facebook Top100 Pellas

Mixtape DJ's who release Alot of mixtapes... I need help!!!

Discuss anything you so desire that doesn't belong anywhere else within the forum. Please do your best to keep it clean.

Moderators: Forum Staff, admin

Mixtape DJ's who release Alot of mixtapes... I need help!!!

Postby djdyvurse on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:17 am

Does anyone in here push a lot of mixtapes? I need ya'll help. What is the best way to market my tapes? Especially since I do a lot of best more best of mixes and concept mixes instead of newer stuff. I do hip hop mixes, but I also do mixes where I play all kinds of music. (I got an all frock one comin' soon.) Can somebody help me out?
djdyvurse
ACAS4U Referral Ambassador
ACAS4U Referral Ambassador

Downloads/Uploads: 419 / 2

Postby vice verses on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 am

well as i understand it, u need to create a buzz around your tapes, u need the public to be talking about "who is this guy!?" get them fiending for your next mix... you need to be promoting a take on the mixtape... as in u need something different or exclusve.basicaly youll need to hand out as many tapes/cds as u can, u probably wont make any money from it as theres a million and one djs making mixtapes now... but if your doing it for the love of it, money should just be a bonus if u get to that stage!
here in england theres not really a mixtape culture as there is in the us. if u can do something better than the others, or you have an exclusive idea, or an insider in a record company that'll leak tracks to u, good luck!, keep doing your thing
V.V.
(the streets - stay positive)
Stop dreaming
People who say that are blaspheming
They're doing nine to five and moaning
And they don't want you succeeding when theyve blown it
And your idols - who are they?
They too dreamt about their day
vice verses
Supremo ACAS4U Member
Supremo ACAS4U Member

Downloads/Uploads: 300 / 0

Postby Mel on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:00 pm

^ Vice’s advice is right (<< tongue twister)

You definitely need a buzz, and in the US, its really not that hard to achieve. Just takes a little self-promotion.

Buy you really didn’t clarify how you needed help. Since Vice took care of the “buzz” issue, I’ll take care of the legal side of things.

You want to be legit as possible, especially if you’re in it for the long run. If you’re serious about being a producer / dj, my first advice would be to set up your publishing (BMI, ASCAP, etc.) I often get negative and unenthusiastic feedback when I mention “publishing” to new cats in the game. But it really isn’t hard to do. The hardest part would probably be coming up with a unique name, and fronting the cash (if you’re hard up for it).

With publishing, you have leadway to obtaining clearances from the artists / producers you sample. Some cats charge, and some just want credit. You’d be surprised at some really cool people in the industry that don’t charge. Now of course, if you move a million units or even 100 grand, there going to want their share. But that’s where wheeling and dealing comes in. And if you create your buzz strong enough, some cats will even consider it an avenue of promotion to be on your mixtape.
Mel
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 42 / 0

Postby DJ LMA aka DJ Leethal on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:57 am

Damn, this is somethin I need help on as well.

If I start my mixtape, should I really go give hella disks away? And how do I get into the publishing thang as well. I need help on this cause I got 100 plus mixes and nothin to do with tha s**t. I got 40 of 'em 2pac, and I wanna make a 2pac mixtape so it gets more hype so I can be like "2pac Mixtape ova here!" instead of shouting "blazin hot mixtape" cause it'd probably catch more peeps attention.
DJ LMA aka DJ Leethal
Arh baby, ACAS4U's gotta hold on me.
Arh baby, ACAS4U's gotta hold on me.

Downloads/Uploads: 210 / 12

Postby Mel on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:01 pm

First off all, I always gave maybe 10 – 20 CDs away only. Never any more than that. Using my terminology, only give your product to “avenues” or “channels.” These could be radio stations, small and local music stores, party and club promoters, etc. Everybody else…make’em pay. Nobody—and I mean NOBODY, can afford to just give anything away. You gotta work to eat. If you give your work away, you’re taking food out your mouth and more importantly you’re making a terrible statement about your product. I don’t care if you just get 1 dollar for product—get something for it. It’ll keep you inspired, too.

Secondly, music publishing only makes you official as a writer / producer / artist. If you’re just blending tracks (eg – taking an established artist’s vocals and blending them over an established producer’s music), you’d be better off not starting your publishing company, because you’re not really creating anything but an idea.

The good points of music publishing are that you can request clearances from other artists on a business level. If you gone as far as to start your own publishing, then other “professionals” look at you as a professional. Then negotiation comes in—whether you pay for the samples or whatever. Another good point is that when you get paid in terms of moving units and distribution deals, you get paid directly as opposed through another person or publishing company. Through music publishing, you can create a catalog of your work for other producers and labels to observe.

Hope this helps. Peace.
Mel
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 42 / 0

Postby willythedisk on Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:49 am

this is looking really helpful. I never even considered publishing before.
willythedisk
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark

Downloads/Uploads: 94 / 0