Welcome to ACAPELLAS4U, Free Acapellas Vocals Dj tools Downloads

Your original leading free studio quality acapellas provider.

Twitter Facebook Top100 Pellas

Instrumentals "Bleeding" into phase canceled vocal

Do it yourself acapellas or DIY refers to the procedure of manually separating a vocal-only portion of a music track from its instrumental counterpart; also known as vocal extraction. Lots of techniques, advice and help in here for creating that very special D.I.Y acapella.

Moderators: Forum Staff, admin

Instrumentals "Bleeding" into phase canceled vocal

Postby BYTE-Smasher on Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Hey there... I'm new to the forums, and have actually just posted this question in the "New Users" forum, but thought it might be better suited here... I appologise in advance if double posting isn't allowed, but I would assume (from experience in other forums) that not everyone who might be able to help me reads the "new users" posts

I'm having some issues with using the phase inversion method of extracting vocals ... I've successfully managed to invert an instrumental track and mix it with the main track in multitrack view, but the resulting track I've got is letting some of the instrumental bleed through... and it's ever so annoying... I'm wondering what some tricks are to getting a cleaner mix, or to getting rid of the bleed... and yes, I've tried noise cancelation in Cool Edit, and not only does it hardly get rid of the bleeding, but it also gets rid of too much of the vocals... makes em sound like shite. I've even tried increasing the sample rate of the WAVs (yes, I'm using raw WAVs) so that I can get a better lock on the wavs... I've gotten it so that the noise is quieter, but I still can't get it perfect... and it shifts in and out fairly randomly... if anyone knows where I'm going wrong, or knows of any tricks, please let me know... in the meantime, I'll keep searching the forum for an answer. Thanx everybody ;)
BYTE-Smasher
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark

Downloads/Uploads: 13 / 0

Postby BYTE-Smasher on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:58 pm

Ripped from the same CD single... straight to raw WAV format.... so yah, they're the same :D
BYTE-Smasher

Downloads/Uploads: 13 / 0

Postby extremetraxx on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:27 pm

What program are you using to lay the songs over eachother after you invert the intrumental? (acid, cool edit, sound forge....) I found it best to use acid to lay them over eachother and cool edit/audition to invert the intrumental. Works very well for me (once i find the *EXACT* instrumental for the song)

DJRizzle
extremetraxx
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 799 / 6

Postby Procleus on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:29 pm

I know the problem you're having. What I do to remedy is:
1.) offset mixing of inst./full by however many milliseconds it takes to recover from the "bleeding", and then cut and paste results together (thus filtering out inst. entirely)
2.) halve the pitch of both files, thus doubling the size, and then blending. similiar to idea one, you can offset even more precisely...
3.) starting where it "bleeds", mix the portions together, rather than in wholes, and offset until it's cancelled out ...
[img]http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/155/procleusbanner6uf.png[/img]
Procleus
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 469 / 10