Welcome to ACAPELLAS4U, Free Acapellas Vocals Dj tools Downloads

Your original leading free studio quality acapellas provider.

Twitter Facebook Top100 Pellas

Ableton Live DJs

This is the place to discuss production techniques, hints and tips. Software related questions about Ableton, Reason, Cubase, Pro-Tools, Logic Audio Pro, FruityLoops, Acid. We also cover questions on hardware issues, soundcards, latency, discuss it all here. Oh, not forgetting vsti and plugins.

Moderators: Forum Staff, admin

Ableton Live DJs

Postby Anonymous on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:40 am

Hello, was wondering how many of us are now Ableton DJs?

I have moved from CD/Vinyl to Ableton completely and perform with a Ozonic and UC33...

All other fellow abletoners please share ur setup and views on this topic :)
Anonymous

Downloads/Uploads: 2 / 0

Postby acapella on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:50 am

Hey Teejay, I'm pretty sure there are absolutely tons of us here who use Ableton purely for dj'ing.

I myself love live (and life) to bits but I mainly use live as a production tool not for dj'ing. That's not to say that I haven't given it a whirl.. I've been asked to do a breaks showcase mix for Proton Radio and I plan out doing it all in Live.

I'll put up a link to it once I've done it.

I've just seen that you're all the way from india - nice to see that the word has spread globally about the site!!
[NEW] Our 2014 Survey's started and you can WIN 250 Bonus Downloads! ENTER HERE
Have you grabbed our 'Top 100 acapellas of all time' PLUS key analysis yet? FREE INSTANT ACCESS
Want some Top-Rated Acapella packs? INSTANT DOWNLOAD HER
acapella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Downloads/Uploads: 135 / 263

Postby playmaker on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:27 pm

I heard that Paul van Dyk uses 3 laptops running LiVE when DJing, quite interesting isn't it :)

I'm still a Cubase addict tho, but rumour says that I gonna have a look on Logic too in the future hehe, that was very off-topic I know
playmaker
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 8 / 0

Postby Anonymous on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:57 pm

Yeah I'v made a bunch of sets out of Live (and cd's) will upload them sometime soon for all of ya to check out.

I'm into all kinds of progressive house, what do u spin?
Anonymous

Postby Crin on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:03 pm

Eeeeeeeeeeew, you dirty dirty people, with your devil-speak and blasphemy!!!

*yes i'm a vinyl purist*
Got rhythm running though my system...

...and beats bouncing off my bones
Crin
Arh baby, ACAS4U's gotta hold on me.
Arh baby, ACAS4U's gotta hold on me.

Downloads/Uploads: 34 / 0

N/A

Postby Anonymous on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:50 pm

N/A
Anonymous

Re: Well...

Postby agus69 on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:38 pm

S.T. wrote:...I am old school, but..at the same time I do embrace the new technology and the conveniences it brings out of practicality. I love wax, but in most cases, once a record becomes damaged..that's that. Even CD's will still play relatively scratched up...I myself even switched up to using my CDJ800 for scratches, because you really can't get around cue burn either.

Anyway, I am curious though..what makes Ableton Live good for DJing?? I bought that program 2 years ago, and have yet to even use it. I bought it for time stretching but it's so so at best. I've thought of it as a production tool mainly for loop based music as opposed to a hard disk audio solution like Protools or Logic....what in particular makes it a good option for Djing? DSS DJ and Virutal DJ as well as Final Scratch are on point IMO. Can you get slick controllers for Live so you can use it like the DJ softwares mentioned above? Any info is appreciated, thank you.

im in your boat. i have been fascinated by this program since it's inception. my cousin gave me a copy of the first release and i never really gave it a chance cuz i was into acid. and stupid me thought they were the same thing. my cousin sent me a set he did in live and i was blown away. so, im still wondering how this is done and who can teach me :cheesy: :cheesy:

hey teejay, i would love to hear some of your mixes done in live. i love prog house. i spin prog d&b. maybe we can trade sets.

[email protected] ----->hit me up on msn if you're ever on

cheers.
agus69
ACAS4U Referral Ambassador

Downloads/Uploads: 67 / 0

Postby S4racen on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:22 am

If you've had it a while i'd upgrade to Live 5..... With a few tweaks it's now in my opinion the best dj simulator option, maybe not the most intuitive for on the spot mixing but if your looking to put a set down and want it perfect it's sequencing is awesome.....

Plus you'll be re-editing tracks in minutes.....

D
S4racen
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 39 / 0

Postby Anonymous on Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:24 am

The new Live 5 updates make it one hell of a package for DJs. Its really simple once u get past the basic concepts of 'warping' tracks.

Here is a recent set that I made on Live 5, its on the more trancy side of prog.

Check it out and your comments are most welcome.

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=07O3 ... U905MAHJJN

Tracklist:

1. BT vs Sasha ft. Jan Johnston - Remember (Magnetic North)
2. Hidden Logic - Wasting (Andy Moor Mix)
3. Kosmas Epsilon - Paramount (Four to the floor mix)
4. Inkfish & Martin H - Eye Am
5. Baggage Handlers - Vaportrail (Chris Micali's You Win Mix)
6. Perry 'O' Neil - Myst (Hydroid and Santiago Nino Remix)
7. Rouzbeh Delavari - Soup (Ozgur Can Remix)
8. Matthew Dekay vs Proluctors - Bad
9. Simon & Shaker - Freshness Part 1(B Side)
10. Dominic Plaza - Sundown
11. Ryuku Underground - Seragaki (Junkie XL Remix)

Enjoy! :cheesy:
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:59 pm

dont actully use it for djing (yet) mainly production version 5 is so much better then the others and all top djs are now using it to re edit tracks.i love it to bits
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:48 am

I have started using live in the last 6 months as a production tool but can see the amazing potential it has to be used live.i am though going to practice and arrange some Dj sets over the next few months and play it live. To be able to lay out 3 hrs of your own tunes and remix them live makes it an awesome tool.
I am a vinyl junkie though still and have yet to be really blown away by the new breed of laptop Dj's with their unlimited harddrives of downloaded mp3s.
Live has certainly raised the stakes though.but seeing a guy hunched over a laptop isn't so exciting so i plan to play out with a coupla muso friends (percussionist/sax/flute) to add a bit more live and visual element.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:20 pm

I am really getting into Ableton but have yet to use it for a gig (I'm still in the land of vinyl). This is going to change soon as, whilst I'm a pretty good DJ, lots of records that I like were either not recorded with a click track (and thus a nightmare to mix) or don't have very friendly intos and outros. Using Ableton means that my horizons are comprehensively broadened as I can tweak timings. For instance, I'm currently working on a Dolly Parton/Grandmaster Flash thing that I could never do on the wheels of steel.

Trouble is that getting enough material knocked into shape and ready for use seems to take up far too much of my life.

cheers,

Immoralist
Anonymous

Postby voyager529 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:46 am

I have Ableton Live Lite 4 and it's colorful Steinberg Remix counterpart. the concept seems simple enough, but I haven't gotten anything worth listening to out of it. anyone up for explaining some good uses of it a bit? Personally, I like doing my mixing on ACID or Mixmeister beforehand and work from there. Ableton Lite came with my M-Audio MobilePRE USB card. I've tried it, but I'm not about to blow $400 on a program that I still haven't found worthwhile to me...Any help from the Ableton swear-byers?
voyager529

Downloads/Uploads: 55 / 0

Re: Ableton Live DJs

Postby rishi on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:20 am

teejay wrote:Hello, was wondering how many of us are now Ableton DJs?

I have moved from CD/Vinyl to Ableton completely and perform with a Ozonic and UC33...

All other fellow abletoners please share ur setup and views on this topic :)

I have been using Ableton to do remixes and absolutely love it! Like Teejay, I have just got an Ozonic, for greater midi control of faders, and effects etc.

I am interested in the DJ'ing aspect but dont really see that it is that simple. Where can I get some tips? I understand warping but its the cueing and visibility of EQ's etc that I dont like so much.

I am still using Serato for Dj gig's, being from the vinyl school. It's great if you grew up with vinyl and it lets me play my remixes as a vinly record within minutes of finishing it.
rishi
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 45 / 0

Re: Ableton Live DJs

Postby acapella on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:02 pm

rishi wrote:..

I have been using Ableton to do remixes and absolutely love it! Like Teejay, I have just got an Ozonic, for greater midi control of faders, and effects etc.

I am interested in the DJ'ing aspect but dont really see that it is that simple. Where can I get some tips? I understand warping but its the cueing and visibility of EQ's etc that I dont like so much.

Ableton Live 5.0.3 + Ozonic and a plethora of quality vsti + samplecdz is my set up. Been with Ableton Live since version 3 and the Ozonic simply replaced an ageing Evolution MK-149 midi controller which like any good woman was completely knobless..

Dj'ing (well having a go at emulating would could be described as a mix from my bedroom) is something that I've been doing in between finsihing tunes and starting new ideas.. it's a really nice welcome break from just dealing with the songs side of things it really is.

You asked for help/info. but really shy of saying just check out Ableton's Forum aswell as reading and experimenting yorself by following the "Dj'ing with Live" Walkthrough provided I can't really comment as i'm pretty fresh to it all myself.

Be sure to let us know though if you find some really cool tips ok?

acapella.
Have you grabbed our 'Top 100 acapellas of all time' PLUS key analysis yet? FREE INSTANT ACCESS
acapella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:25 pm

If you're based in the UK, Computer Music Magazine (from Future Publishing) have just issued an Ableton Live special edition which has all sorts of hints and walkthroughs for Live as a studio and performance tool. The cover CD also comes with some nice free extras. I found it quite useful for filling in some gaps in my knowledge.

cheers,
Anonymous

Postby acapella on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:26 pm

Good spot immoralist.

I too bought that from WHSmith's about a month ago and I too was very interested in having this nicely laid out and formatted guide . Always a nice way to just see if there's anything in there that we could all just pick up and use.

I was interested in the Dj'ing article in Ableton Live 5. But overall it was more for a live dj mix environment which was cool but what I was interested in more was the recording of it and tweeking from there on in.

Got there in the end though - I just took time out weekend just past and managed to come up with quite a stonker of a mix.

If anyone's interested you can grab it here. It'll will be aired on PulseRadio in a couple of weeks time and it will be forever engraved over on SoundsLike Records' website as part of a feature mix for my house music project, TheOfficials
acapella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anonymous on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:49 am

Might try this ableton program out, I have been using acid pro 4. thanx for the info guys, Im off to look for that link someone posted in tutorials about ableton.
Anonymous

Postby playmaker on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:26 am

Live 5.2 brings native support for Apple's new Intel-Macs. Live 5.2 will be in beta as soon as the new Intel Core Duo-equipped MacBook Pro is available and is expected to be released in February. Early MacBook Pro buyers will be able to run Live immediately and enjoy substantially higher audio performance than on today's fastest Mac notebook.

Live 6, scheduled for release in Q3, will bring - among other features yet to be disclosed - support for multi-core/multi-processor architectures, to the benefit of both Windows and Mac OS users. This feature will bring users of Intel Core Duo-equipped Macs another large increase in audio performance, and Windows users will be able to fully exploit the speedup potential of the various available multi-core/multi-processor hardware solutions the market offers.

Live 5.2 is expected to be available, as a download, in February 2006.
playmaker
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 8 / 0

Postby rishi on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:55 am

immoralist wrote:If you're based in the UK, Computer Music Magazine (from Future Publishing) have just issued an Ableton Live special edition which has all sorts of hints and walkthroughs for Live as a studio and performance tool. The cover CD also comes with some nice free extras. I found it quite useful for filling in some gaps in my knowledge.

cheers,

Thanks. Great magazine. I saw this issue was coming from the ableton newsletter, but being in Australia I have seen no sign of it here. I'd buy it online if I could find a webiste to buy it from. Otherwise, I might just have to wait until it gets here. Aaaarrgggh!!
rishi
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 45 / 0

Postby smart1123 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:05 pm

I'm a LapJock, I have a fairly regular night here in Vancouver at the Bayside Lounge (Denman & Davie) on the second and last friday of every month (not the 10th of Feb tho'), my friend Andrew (who spins vinyl) is the resident and plays every friday, deep, dub and tech house, with lashings of funk (would love to play more electro/tech but it's a lounge :cry:)
I used to spin CD's about 8 years ago, then focused on production for the last 8 years and just started LapJocking at my wife's birthday in September, now I play out at least three nights a month (if my head can take it) and getting $$ too (icing on the cake, almost covers what I spend on music)
Also having more fun with music than I've had for a long time, not beating my head against production problems (lazy) and performing DJ style carries way less stress than doing Live PA does for sure.

Nice Thread
Peace
Luke

PS to the vinyl purists, of all the DJ's I know (many) the only ones who have ever said anything but "nice tune's... good set" are the ones with nothing going on, all the DJ's I have any respect for have given respect.
it's not DJing you're right I Like LapJock personally or Laptop DJ if you must, but give respect where respect is due, it's about the music not what you use to play it.
Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz, MOTU Traveller, Ableton 4.1.4, Reason 3.0, Yamaha EX-5, Alesis Micron, UC-33e, DX-7, Lexicon MPX-1.
(Work) Approx 900 Channels of protools (HD/Mix) Amek Consoles, 4 theatres, 21 edit suites.

Blurred
smart1123

Downloads/Uploads: 49 / 0

Postby Anonymous on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:33 pm

I use Ableton live, for a couple reasons. Anyone that dosnt should give it a try even traditionalists
Anonymous

Postby Dj Superior on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:49 am

just got ableton a few weeks back.. Still trying to learn it propperly when i have time :)
Dj Superior
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark

Downloads/Uploads: 16 / 0

Using Ableton Live live

Postby Lide01 on Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:40 pm

I now own Live about a year. First i really liked live but was not able to work fine with this prog on stage without a controller. After checking the market i didn´t find any controller that fits my needs. So I decided to create my own controller. Here you can see it:

[img]http://home.arcor.de/lide01/Midibox/MB_LIVE_inner.jpg[/img]

The controller is created out of a kit of several modules that can bought/seen on the midibox.org website. By the way that is a great site too!

No that i can control all my functions i need via midi it really kicks ass on stage! The last 3 months i worked on a set for a live gig and with my controller this works definitely fine for on-stage-remixing!

Greetz, Lide
Lide01
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 105 / 1

abelton is the bomb!!

Postby Anonymous on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:28 pm

i have only recently bought a copy of abelton! I use it more as a production tool, making mashups!! I have used it to mix the mashups and found it extremely versitile and full of different features!

i am still mixing vinyl and think i wont change for a long while yet! (got a too big a record collection to disregard them, lol)

i also went to a local club the other night where the resident dj was using 2 laptops with abelton! I thought it was pretty cool but i feel it takes the natural talent out of the good old fashioned dj!

a wicked piece of software though! Im sure i will keep working at mixing wiv abelton and mayb 1 day i might make the cross over, but not yet!

cheers all

the slipster!

P.S. i have uploaded the first mashup i made wiv abelton in the testpressing section, (in others) i think its cool!!
Anonymous

ableton live...

Postby shawnnervous on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:49 am

I'm currently falling in love with this program, my heart is filled with joy and my slight writers block has been lifted.
Shawn
shawnnervous
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 44 / 0

Postby Sully74 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:37 pm

i'm an ableton convert 100% - sold all me vinyl to concentrate on it.

i still use a cdj1000 as well but thats mainly for scratchin effects, pella's and intro's etc.

i use faderfox controllers (mk1 LX1 and LV1), and efx1000 and efx500 and a djm1000 mixer, sometimes use a codanova vmx to trigger ableton effects but use the efx1000 more now.

the stuff you can do amazes me and if you spend time gettin it right, it sounds awesome in a club............
Sully74
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 9 / 0

Postby Anonymous on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:20 am

just wondring sully why use the efx1000 when ableton has really cool fx built in. Plus u can automate fx for certain tracks
Anonymous

Re: Using Ableton Live live

Postby Milkman Dan on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:12 pm

Lide01 wrote:I now own Live about a year. First i really liked live but was not able to work fine with this prog on stage without a controller. After checking the market i didn´t find any controller that fits my needs. So I decided to create my own controller. Here you can see it:

The controller is created out of a kit of several modules that can bought/seen on the midibox.org website. By the way that is a great site too!

No that i can control all my functions i need via midi it really kicks ass on stage! The last 3 months i worked on a set for a live gig and with my controller this works definitely fine for on-stage-remixing!

Greetz, Lide

DAAAAAAAAM Son... :shock: that is the business right there... :cheesy:

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you build that controller & what are the main expenses????

I've been using Live for a little over 8 months now & just started to incorporate it into my deejaying with an UC-33e & a Trigger Finger.... but that is an adaptation on what i would really like to do... which is have total control one one midi output which will help me start performing my own stuff live....

BTW... what kind of sound cards are you guys using... I'm on the Audiophile FireWire... but wanted to get some feedback on what others are using....
Milkman Dan
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 49 / 0

Postby Anonymous on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:01 am

Im wondering about the DJ'ing with Ableton.
I never tried Abelton but far as i know u can make a production live or tweak a track but how does it work for DJ'ing if u dont want to tweak the track?
Is it something like the final scratch?
Anonymous

Next