Welcome to ACAPELLAS4U, Free Acapellas Vocals Dj tools Downloads

Your original leading free studio quality acapellas provider.

Twitter Facebook Top100 Pellas

Ableton Live DJs

This is the place to discuss production techniques, hints and tips. Software related questions about Ableton, Reason, Cubase, Pro-Tools, Logic Audio Pro, FruityLoops, Acid. We also cover questions on hardware issues, soundcards, latency, discuss it all here. Oh, not forgetting vsti and plugins.

Moderators: Forum Staff, admin

Postby Anonymous on Tue May 13, 2008 12:05 pm

tee947 wrote:This is an age-old discussion that gets beaten to death on various boards. i agree, someone who plays full, unedited versions of standard tracks and mixes A>B with no added benefit using Live is cheating if they want to call themselves a proper dj...a.

I agree with this.
Anonymous

Downloads/Uploads: 2 / 0

Postby MR.NICEGUY on Sun May 18, 2008 7:31 pm

I use ableton for production and run programs like massive and Reason as slaves to it. Hopefully one day I can afford a Mac and get logic to master everything but for now this does the trick.
MR.NICEGUY
ACAS4U Referral Ambassador

Downloads/Uploads: 24 / 0

Postby MR.NICEGUY on Fri May 30, 2008 11:00 pm

Ableton/Reason because I'm on PC
MR.NICEGUY

Downloads/Uploads: 24 / 0

Re: Using Ableton Live live

Postby Anonymous on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Lide01 wrote:I now own Live about a year. First i really liked live but was not able to work fine with this prog on stage without a controller. After checking the market i didn´t find any controller that fits my needs. So I decided to create my own controller. Here you can see it:

[img]http://home.arcor.de/lide01/Midibox/MB_LIVE_inner.jpg[/img]

The controller is created out of a kit of several modules that can bought/seen on the midibox.org website. By the way that is a great site too!

No that i can control all my functions i need via midi it really kicks ass on stage! The last 3 months i worked on a set for a live gig and with my controller this works definitely fine for on-stage-remixing!

Greetz, Lide

Thats a cool peice of DIY there mate
Anonymous

Postby gorky0123 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:03 pm

live = endless creativity. mindblowing
gorky0123
ACAS4U - a full PHAT 11/10!

Downloads/Uploads: 57 / 0

Postby daskip on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Personally i don't like ableton for djing, as there are many djs out there that they cant make a mix on the real thing rather than just a software,and is always being like more and more people getting into djing whitout knowing the real deal about djing
daskip

Downloads/Uploads: 36 / 0

Postby versianni on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 am

daskip wrote:Personally i don't like ableton for djing, as there are many djs out there that they cant make a mix on the real thing rather than just a software,and is always being like more and more people getting into djing whitout knowing the real deal about djing
Agreed!
versianni

Downloads/Uploads: 499 / 20

Postby sandbox on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:29 am

ya ya for sure
sandbox
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark

Downloads/Uploads: 4 / 0

Postby docshocker on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:56 pm

versianni wrote:
daskip wrote:Personally i don't like ableton for djing, as there are many djs out there that they cant make a mix on the real thing rather than just a software,and is always being like more and more people getting into djing whitout knowing the real deal about djing
Agreed!

Totally disagree. This is the classic "I'm working in a real medium, you're not" argument, and every time it's brought up -- when electric guitars started coming up, when guitarists started using distortion, when djs started using cds instead of vinyl, etc. -- it's garbage.

The point is to create art, and it doesn't matter how you do it. Some people only understand vinyl, some only get computers. Doesn't matter. Create something brilliant; don't hate because someone uses a medium you think is not "real."
docshocker
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 14 / 0

Postby RapVideo on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:03 pm

ableton is whats up
RapVideo
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 22 / 0

Postby larrykoole on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:55 pm

I play live drumset with a Roland SPS-20 trigger system along with a Behringer midi foot controller. I also play loops out of my MPC and the Boss SP-303.
larrykoole

Downloads/Uploads: 25 / 0

Postby joshlawson on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:42 pm

MENTAL HOMEMADE CONTROLLER!
keep hearing about Ableton.
going to get involved!
joshlawson

Downloads/Uploads: 5 / 0

was gonna ask anybody help me out with this tiny problem?

Postby joeynitro on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:19 am

i have an openlabs miko, and dj gear,
but how do i setup i wanna dj straight into ableton?
cud u msg me plz!
thanks
joeynitro

Downloads/Uploads: 1 / 0

Postby rickfc on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:38 am

i use it with the uc33 controller ...works nice
rickfc

Postby Kid Gloves on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:40 am

Got to admit, in regards to the whole "i'm better than you cause i'm oldskoooool" argument, you could go either way.

On one hand, it's impossible to deny that there are people who are getting into DJing quicker and easier (hence the ditigal format's appeal) and as thus, are not taking the time to learn and appreciate the roots of what they are doing.

But by the same token, you could say that for music as a whole. Sure, digital downloads are meaning that music is easier to attain and certain music is no longer "unobtainable" i.e. one copy does not mean one copy. There's only one physical record, you can copy and re-copy digital files over and over again. But now that music is becomming so vapid and easily obtained, it's becomming easy to attain then forget about. If you're just always easily obtaining something, then it stops it being as special.

Me personally, i am only just starting out, but i think i can speak for both sides. I can't afford the initial cost of vinyl & equiptment and digital provides me with an insight of the world without the hassle, but on the same note i will always think that a DJ than can spin vinyl has a broarder skillset than a DJ who does not. I think of it like driving a manual vs. an automatic car. Sure, driving an automatic is still driving, but the manual driver has a lot better understanding than you. Plus, the quality of vinyl sound cannot be passed upon, for the audiophiles out there...

Just my two cents.

Oh, and i use Live. It's a great program.
Kid Gloves

Postby Boba on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:03 am

I prefer vinyl, simply because I need to be able to touch it.
Boba
ACAS4U Phreakazoid
ACAS4U Phreakazoid

Downloads/Uploads: 61 / 1

Postby versianni on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Hummmmmmmmmm... I think I´ll give it a try to Ableton for Djing...
versianni

Downloads/Uploads: 499 / 20

Postby dazoo on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:41 pm

I recently did a set at a Dance Marathon at my school the University of Pittsburgh using Live and I had a lot of fun. I don't have much experience with turntables but the other DJs were really impressed with what I was doing. I used a novation Remote SL 37 which is my only midi controller, but I am interested in getting a more DJ specific midi controller. I notice some of my favorite DJs use a trigger finger, does anyone have any suggestions.
dazoo

Downloads/Uploads: 74 / 0

Postby bonnaventure on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:52 pm

People say I "cheat" because I use ableton and the m-audio x-session pro.

I'm a cheater, but the people dance, get drunk and have a really awesome time when they come to my parties. Maybe I should call some of those old guys who have been raving since the 90s to DJ my parties cuz I'm a cheater?

Girls dig their receding hair lines and "holier than thou" trance music.

Ok, that's just a little joke at the vinyl purists in my area, I'm NOT poking fun at all vinyl/trance people. :P
bonnaventure
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 19 / 0

Postby Oozeroo on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:56 pm

I've played vinyl for years and the best invention I've seen and use for DJing is Serato Scratch. Its amazing and lets you get all 'hands on' with vinyl but you can still drop any mp3 you want. I think its good for a crowd seeing you move around vinyl and for scratching; if you're active around your controllers and production tools that looks great too. As someone else said its all about getting folk rockin' and people dont know what you're doing half the time whether it be vinyl, CD or software anyway :)
Oozeroo

Postby EdwardR on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:33 pm

I've just done my first Live dj set. It was for a student night, so it quite cheesy.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/165420/Mix%20CD.m4a

G.A - Superstlyin
Bob Sinclar - What I Want (Wideboys Mix)
Dizzee Rascal - Flex (Dave Spoon Mix)
Outhere Brothers - Shake It (Wideboys Mix)
Dave Spoon - At Night (Moto Blanco Mix)
Peter Gelderblom - Waiting 4
Britney Spears - Circus (Villians Mix)
Kid Cudi & Crookers - Day & Night
Kanye West - Flashing Lights
Fatman Scoop - Faithful
Skee-lo - I Wish
Flo Rida - Low

I don't normally do rnb. Live has made my job a lot easier. I'll probably do rnd sets, burn to cdj and use them in CDJ's. Don't really wanna take my laptop out, cos I rely on it for so much else.
EdwardR

Downloads/Uploads: 26 / 0

Postby supervinyl on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:56 pm

I like the traditional dj set up but i have to say that new technologies, programs and even instruments (tenorion for example) are something to take advantage of. I dont believe these things would ever replace old school ways, nor are they made for that reason in my own opinion, but instead they can be utalised to work along side a traditional setup, perhaps make it better.
supervinyl
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Postby zenon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:31 pm

as long as the result is exciting, why not? digital technology in good hands is a more powerful way to dj. we play synths when Beethoven played pianoforte. now it's another time and honestly (for me) playing with vinyl is out of question
zenon
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Postby lsarkar1 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:30 pm

ableton is awesome, if ppl use it to dj then finee
lsarkar1

Downloads/Uploads: 32 / 0

Postby gstillingreece on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Been producing with Abelton for about a year. Just started performing with it. Sony Vaio laptop running abelton and a djm 800. 100% versitility, and control. Iam still on Abelton 6.0.1. I beleve the later vertion is better for live work?
gstillingreece
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 191 / 0

Postby tombrc on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:01 am

here's my first creation with ableton live 7 LE. i used a loop i got froma capellas4u.co.uk. i've reached my download limit though :cry:

http://soundcloud.com/tomasb

My opinion on this software is that it's great. It allows a novice like myself to create "music". Any medium that allows people to express their cresativity should be applauded.

I'm sure an arrogant closed minded composer of fine classical music would look at a DJ much the same way a arrogant closed minded DJ looks at an Ableton user. Ultimately the aim should be to avoid being a ""arrogant close minded musician" it's useless to argue that certain methods of making are best.
tombrc

Downloads/Uploads: 12 / 0

Postby Same on Wed May 13, 2009 8:26 pm

dazoo wrote:I notice some of my favorite DJs use a trigger finger, does anyone have any suggestions.

Actually, I use a Korg PadKONTROL (which is practically a Trigger Finger with a few more functions) for all my sets and it works pretty well. I have been meaning to buy an honest DJ controller since I started actually getting paid for my work but I'm afraid I won't like it as much.
Same

Downloads/Uploads: 377 / 1

Postby nickyblunt on Fri May 15, 2009 8:11 am

Dunno Id prefer to actually to the beat matching myself!

But for the cant mix crew!!!! I guess its okay!
nickyblunt

Downloads/Uploads: 296 / 0

Postby Scottmac on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:34 pm

I don't think you can say that DJing with LIVE is cheating. It's different. It's music creation, and just a different way to do it. Just because I cant play the drums doesn't make me less of a creative artist when making drum tracks with a sequencer. Just an alternative route to the same destination.

I really admire the art of the vinyl DJ, a very underestimate skill but one which I just don't have the time or talent to master.
Scottmac
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 11 / 0

Postby Elkie on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:36 pm

i played at a night recently where a few of the djs were playing with live. the way thay used it lead me to beleive that it was simply a cop out, and theres no real skill involved. when i stepped up with a big sack of wax, they were all pretty shocked, and when i started my set, there was a needle missing off one of the tts, so it was pretty obvious they werent expecting anyone to be spinning vinyl, which i thought was quite odd!

but then someone showed me a ideo of someone mixing with the apc40, and that was amazing!

i think the thing with live is the more you put into it, the more you get out. it can be used at a shamefully basic level, but if youre willing to learn the ins and outs, the results can be breathtaking!
Elkie
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 23 / 0

PreviousNext