Welcome to ACAPELLAS4U, Free Acapellas Vocals Dj tools Downloads

Your original leading free studio quality acapellas provider.

Twitter Facebook Top100 Pellas

[STEP BY STEP] Acapella Extraction from a DTS-CD (5.1)

This category contains excellent, well-written guides and step by step tutorials submitted by our members. If you'd like to contribute, please email [email protected] with 'Content Creator' in the subject line.

Moderators: Forum Staff, admin

[STEP BY STEP] Acapella Extraction from a DTS-CD (5.1)

Postby totom on Mon May 15, 2006 8:12 pm

For my second tutorial, I'm going to explain the audio extraction from a 5.1-mixed DTS-CD, it's not the same process as for DVDs at all. IMPOTANT POINT: many DTS-CDs you can find "here or there" are often the result of a home-made spatialisation from a stereo mix (sometimes these are mentioned UPMIX). The only ones that are interesting come from a SaCD (there's no "soft way" to extract 5.1 from a SaCD) or the audio track of a 5.1 DVD.

A DTS-CD presents himself like a vulgar audio-CD with tracks of various duration except that, if you put this CD into your discman you'll only hear noise (the white one). You get quite the same kind of noise if you open any non-wave big file as a Wavefile into Audition or whatever you use.

In this tutorial, we're going to use the following software: dBpowerAmp, CDWave, DTSdec, Adobe Audition, Notepad and Windows Explorer.

You can handle a real plastic disc called a CD (CDR), or a "CD image" (CUE+WAV, NRG, ISO... formats among many others) that you'll be able to burn via your classic CD-burning software or mount it with a dedicated software (Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools,... help yourself).

If you have a CD image into CUE+WAV format, you can skip the next image which represents a classical CDDA extraction software (here it's DMC Audio CD Input, installed with dBpoweramp).

Though, if you use DMC Audio CD Input or another one (like Exact Audio Copy, CDex, or even Nero), you start choosing the right drive (virtual or real) where the DTS-CD is then you choose the songs you want to test. In this tutorial, we'll take the example of Five Years by David Bowie, from the album Ziggy Stardust (a great rock classic by the way).
Normally, the album will be recognized by freeDB (database for CD albums informations) as the tracks lengths are the same as on the regular CD.

Nonetheless, I prefer to spend more time on CDWave, a software used by bootleggers (not the "mashup producers", the other kind) to cut the tracks of a concert they recorded the day before.

If you may, install CDWave, open it and click into the Menu "File > Load Cue Sheet..."

Fetch the CUE file you want to open.

Click OK on the following dialog box.

You'll get something like this (a bit less joyful maybe, as I chose my own colors)

Notice that we can pick more than one track. I just picked one for this example.

To obtain the following dialog box, click Menu "File > Save", select "no conversion" on the right and the same directory (or not) where you have all the DTS-CD files . (One day, I'll install Linux on this partition :D )

Click OK, you'll get a directory that looks like this:

Notice that I renamed my file so there are no more spaces.

----------------------------------------------

Now the most complicated part, we're going to use DTSdec via a batch-file (basically it's a script that execute programs or functions).

First, you have to create a file called dtsdec.txt with the notepad and then rename it with the extension ".bat". It shall look like this. You can add more command lines by copying/pasting the line in the middle, I added an "_output" suffix so you can notice the output file is placed before the input DTS file we want to decode.
Note: If you "Click Right > Modify" on the .bat file, you can edit it into the notepad, as if it was a vulgar plain text file.

To make your life easier, here are the few examples lines you can copy to make your batch file (of course, replace "Five_Years_output.wav" and "Five_Years.wav" by the appropriate filenames):

Code: Select all
@echo off
echo DTS Decoder

dtsdec -o wav6 > Five_Years_output.wav Five_Years.wav

echo Conversion Finished
echo Press the SPACE BAR TO CLOSE THIS WINDOW
pause

While it's decoding, you can see this:

And when it's over, you get this:

Note: Pay attention to the characters you're using into your file name, accents...

When you push the one key that doesn't have a symbol printed on it (the Space Bar), your work directory should look like this:

You can open the obtained file into Audition or extract the 6 channels using dBpowerAmp like on the following picture -- Clicking right > Convert to -- (you may have to look for the necessary plugin in Codec-Central on the site).

If you open the output file into Audition, this one opens like 6 separate mono files:

Notice channel 3, it can contain the voice alone but sometimes more (and sometimes too much unluckily).

Save channel 3 as "Song (acapella).wav" for example and, depending on the source, if you don't have any rhythm indication into channel 3, also save channel 1 or 2, like this:

Now you can apply the third part of my first tutorial and optimise the acapella.
Only then you're able to use it into a mix or a mashup.
Notice that channels 5 & 6 can sometimes contain interesting stuff. :)
Last edited by acapella on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Restored all of the image links :)
totom
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 220 / 51

Postby totom on Mon May 15, 2006 8:31 pm

Anyone, feel free to tell me if you find any sentence that sounds not correct or that you don't understand well. My english is quite good but not flawlessly perfect. ;)
totom
Special Member
Special Member

Postby totom on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:10 pm

I just want to make a brief announcement and clear things about SaCD format.

I'd like to recall that DVD, DTS CD and SaCD are 3 totally different things, especially DTS and SaCD.
SaCD CANNOT be decoded via any software, you have to use an hardware device SaCD player and record the channels through the outputs. So don't buy SaCD, you'd better try to find DTS CDs over the internet or buy DVD Audio instead. I can't be held and I don't feel responsible at all if you ever waste your money into SaCDs whereas you don't have what 's needed to read them.
totom
Special Member
Special Member

Postby In Silico on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:58 pm

FYI:

There has been speculation it may be possible to capture the digital signal after the decryption stage but before the digital to analog conversion stage of an SACD player, which would make it possible to create a bit perfect copy of the SACD. Because most existing SACD players convert DSD directly to 88 kHz PCM, there exist add-on boards for several players on the market that allow to capture SACD music (only stereo though) through S/PDIF port. Also, since a number of new SACD players have encrypted IEEE 1394 (also called FireWire or i. Link) digital outputs carrying DSD data, it may be possible to get the raw DSD data from the link. The protection mechanism used is Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP), which can be used in "Copy Once" or "Copy Never" modes. It is unlikely, however, that the SACD license agreement rules permit anything but the "Copy Never" mode to be used.
わたし は コンピューター です、ぼくの 愛
In Silico
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 62 / 7

Postby ozdabeast on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:21 am

2 much info in 1 thing but ne software to get acapellas from any song??
ozdabeast
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 57 / 1

Postby alainpolis on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:23 pm

That's what i was searching for.. thanks !!
alainpolis
ACAS4U Rookie now off the mark

Downloads/Uploads: 269 / 0

Postby hyres on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:04 pm

when i execute the bat file, it just said DTS Decoder and nothing happen, i renamed fine the files etc.. is like the commands doesnt work :\
hyres
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 63 / 3

Postby Aggro1 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:48 am

Cheers for that, man!
Aggro1

Downloads/Uploads: 48 / 0

Awesome

Postby faderjunky on Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Thanx for that one!!!
faderjunky

Downloads/Uploads: 144 / 1

Postby hersimp on Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:07 pm

This seems like a damn good method. I've heard some pellas (that don't really excist), that I'm sure are made in this way.

Think I'm gonna get this working, although I'm having a few problems

I sent you a pm with some things I could need some help on, so
would be great if you could =]
hersimp
ACAS4U Phreakazoid
ACAS4U Phreakazoid

Downloads/Uploads: 326 / 304

Postby dj-hotsauce on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:09 am

thanks 4 this!
dj-hotsauce
Special Member
Special Member

Downloads/Uploads: 216 / 4

Postby totom on Sun May 06, 2007 3:15 pm

here are links you need to get the plugins for the older version of dbpoweramp:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy/codec- ... tility.htm
totom
Special Member
Special Member

Postby Dj Sharky on Fri May 18, 2007 1:53 pm

Oh big thanks!! :P :)
Dj Sharky

Downloads/Uploads: 49 / 14

the rookie

Postby elfebe on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:56 pm

i just don't have a clue of what u r doin...
elfebe

Downloads/Uploads: 7 / 0

Postby tobasko1992 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:27 am

Thanks for the tutorial:)
tobasko1992

Downloads/Uploads: 90 / 0

Postby Skeet_fu on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:07 pm

niCE
Skeet_fu

Downloads/Uploads: 167 / 37

Postby dlatino489 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:27 am

thanks !!!!
dlatino489

Downloads/Uploads: 45 / 0

Postby mag22 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:10 am

thanks
mag22

Downloads/Uploads: 33 / 0

Postby hamburger on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:01 am

nice job thanks
hamburger
ACAS4U - a full PHAT 11/10!

Downloads/Uploads: 49 / 0

Postby djgrimy on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:06 pm

thats alot of s**t to do, thanx tho
djgrimy
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 82 / 0

Re: [STEP BY STEP] Acapella Extraction from a DTS-CD (5.1)

Postby themachinerages on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:27 am

thanks so much for this tutorial, it was great!
themachinerages

Downloads/Uploads: 50 / 0

Postby stuntproject on Tue May 24, 2011 6:28 pm

Nice! tnhxs
stuntproject
No longer the Rookie
No longer the Rookie

Downloads/Uploads: 89 / 0

Postby Kony2012 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:23 pm

ok ty ___
Kony2012

Downloads/Uploads: 36 / 1

Postby DPK1988 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanx for this :)
DPK1988

Downloads/Uploads: 4 / 0

Postby mic_cim on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:41 pm

thanks
mic_cim

Downloads/Uploads: 3 / 0
Dj or Producer?: Music Producer - just starting out
Musical influences: Avicii
Music genre(s): House Electro
Soundcloud Page: soundcloud.com/
My favourite website is: www.

Postby yotitosan on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:55 am

what about for a mac
yotitosan

Downloads/Uploads: 95 / 0

Postby acapella on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:28 pm

All images restored inside this Tutorial from Totom
acapella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Downloads/Uploads: 135 / 263

Postby totom on Wed May 04, 2016 1:35 pm

Here's a version with the picture links fixed:

-----

For my second tutorial, I'm going to explain the audio extraction from a 5.1-mixed DTS-CD, it's not the same process as for DVDs at all. IMPOTANT POINT: many DTS-CDs you can find "here or there" are often the result of a home-made spatialisation from a stereo mix (sometimes these are mentioned UPMIX). The only ones that are interesting come from a SaCD (there's no "soft way" to extract 5.1 from a SaCD) or the audio track of a 5.1 DVD.

A DTS-CD presents himself like a vulgar audio-CD with tracks of various duration except that, if you put this CD into your discman you'll only hear noise (the white one). You get quite the same kind of noise if you open any non-wave big file as a Wavefile into Audition or whatever you use.

In this tutorial, we're going to use the following software: dBpowerAmp, CDWave, DTSdec, Adobe Audition, Notepad and Windows Explorer.

You can handle a real plastic disc called a CD (CDR), or a "CD image" (CUE+WAV, NRG, ISO... formats among many others) that you'll be able to burn via your classic CD-burning software or mount it with a dedicated software (Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools,... help yourself).

If you have a CD image into CUE+WAV format, you can skip the next image which represents a classical CDDA extraction software (here it's DMC Audio CD Input, installed with dBpoweramp).

Though, if you use DMC Audio CD Input or another one (like Exact Audio Copy, CDex, or even Nero), you start choosing the right drive (virtual or real) where the DTS-CD is then you choose the songs you want to test. In this tutorial, we'll take the example of Five Years by David Bowie, from the album Ziggy Stardust (a great rock classic by the way).
Normally, the album will be recognized by freeDB (database for CD albums informations) as the tracks lengths are the same as on the regular CD.

Nonetheless, I prefer to spend more time on CDWave, a software used by bootleggers (not the "mashup producers", the other kind) to cut the tracks of a concert they recorded the day before.

If you may, install CDWave, open it and click into the Menu "File > Load Cue Sheet..."

Fetch the CUE file you want to open.

Click OK on the following dialog box.

You'll get something like this (a bit less joyful maybe, as I chose my own colors)

Notice that we can pick more than one track. I just picked one for this example.

To obtain the following dialog box, click Menu "File > Save", select "no conversion" on the right and the same directory (or not) where you have all the DTS-CD files . (One day, I'll install Linux on this partition :D )

Click OK, you'll get a directory that looks like this:

Notice that I renamed my file so there are no more spaces.

----------------------------------------------

Now the most complicated part, we're going to use DTSdec via a batch-file (basically it's a script that execute programs or functions).

First, you have to create a file called dtsdec.txt with the notepad and then rename it with the extension ".bat". It shall look like this. You can add more command lines by copying/pasting the line in the middle, I added an "_output" suffix so you can notice the output file is placed before the input DTS file we want to decode.
Note: If you "Click Right > Modify" on the .bat file, you can edit it into the notepad, as if it was a vulgar plain text file.

To make your life easier, here are the few examples lines you can copy to make your batch file (of course, replace "Five_Years_output.wav" and "Five_Years.wav" by the appropriate filenames):

Code: Select all
@echo off
echo DTS Decoder

dtsdec -o wav6 > Five_Years_output.wav Five_Years.wav

echo Conversion Finished
echo Press the SPACE BAR TO CLOSE THIS WINDOW
pause

While it's decoding, you can see this:

And when it's over, you get this:

Note: Pay attention to the characters you're using into your file name, accents...

When you push the one key that doesn't have a symbol printed on it (the Space Bar), your work directory should look like this:

You can open the obtained file into Audition or extract the 6 channels using dBpowerAmp like on the following picture -- Clicking right > Convert to -- (you may have to look for the necessary plugin in Codec-Central on the site).

If you open the output file into Audition, this one opens like 6 separate mono files:

Notice channel 3, it can contain the voice alone but sometimes more (and sometimes too much unluckily).

Save channel 3 as "Song (acapella).wav" for example and, depending on the source, if you don't have any rhythm indication into channel 3, also save channel 1 or 2, like this:

Now you can apply the third part of my first tutorial and optimise the acapella.
Only then you're able to use it into a mix or a mashup.
Notice that channels 5 & 6 can sometimes contain interesting stuff. :)

-----
totom
Special Member
Special Member